DATE WITH THE DEVIL is the story of two women striving to make a life together, while the world closes in on them. Both sex workers, they go on the run after killing a pimp. In the ensuing action, the women attempt to rise above their circumstances instead of succumbing to outside factors trying to taint their love.
About the HB Playwrights Reading Series
The HB Playwrights Reading Series supports practicing theater artists at various stages of their careers, granting recipients the opportunity to collaborate on experimental projects to be shared among peers and colleagues for constructive critical feedback and mutual growth.
This year’s plays explore a range of themes, many of which question identity as we perceive it for ourselves and for others. All projects selected aim to spark dialogue across genres, cultures and beliefs. The readings were awarded to theater artists of merit through a competitive application process open to the New York City theater community.
2021 HB Playwrights Reading Selections
Selected from an open call for submissions, the following six plays will each receive an evening for a public reading with audience feedback over Zoom, June 22-27, 2021.
- GOODBYE, LITTLE GEORGE by Fernando Vieira: June 22, 2021 | 7PM ET
- PATERSON by Ash Marinaccio: June 23, 2021 | 7PM ET
- SOUTH by Florencia Iriondo: June 24, 2021 | 7PM ET
- DATE WITH THE DEVIL by Carmen Burbridge: June 25, 2021 | 7PM ET
- FAMILY GAMES by Ellis Hoffmeister: June 26, 2021 | 7PM ET
- THE ANGEL MANUAL by Sarah Congress: June 27, 2021 | 7PM ET
Provided with support from the Noël Coward Foundation.