Before your first online class, please review the resources provided on “Using Zoom” at Online Acting Classes.
HB Studio offers professional classes in the dramatic arts for committed actors, directors, and playwrights—beginning and experienced—to hone their skills in a community of peers and mentors. In the spirit of our founders, Uta Hagen and Herbert Berghof, we seek to foster an environment where creative freedom prevails and artists are challenged to take their work to the next level.
Browse classes in the navigation menu to the left (desktop) or above (mobile).
HB offers a progressive sequence of ongoing weekly classes, which meet for 10-week terms four terms a year. Offerings include Acting classes, Voice and Speech classes, Movement classes, Musical Theater classes, Playwriting classes, Directing classes, and acting classes for Young People. Choose one class at a time, or design your own part-time or full-time schedule.
- ACTING AUDITIONS for advanced classes are held monthly, or submit a reel …learn more
- AUDITS: Observe any of our Weekly Classes one time per instructor for $20.00 per audit…learn more
- WEEKLY SCHEDULE: To browse classes by day of week, view the calendar
- HB FACULTY is comprised of practicing theater artists.…browse classes by teacher
Special seminars and master classes are offered between terms, and a variety of short-term skill-building and professional development workshops are offered throughout the year.
- Register now for FALL TERM Online Classes! All classes will run online via Zoom
- Browse WEEKLY CLASSES and register online
- Fall Term will run September 14 – November 22, 2020
- All classes (other than playwriting classes) are offered in two 5-week parts: Part A and Part B. Sign up for either part, or receive $15 off by joining both
- Part A: Sept 14-Oct 18, 2020
- Part B: Oct 19-Nov 22, 2020
- Registration for WORKSHOPS is ongoing – check back regularly for new offerings.
UNION DISCOUNT*: AEA, AGVA, AGMA, SAG/AFTRA, WGA and Dramatist Guild Union Members receive 10% OFF Fall Term Weekly Classes. Discount will automatically apply for HB-verified Union Members. To become verified, present your active union membership card in the registration office or email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Discounts valid for Classes only; not Workshops, Programs, or Merchandise. Discounts cannot be combined nor applied retroactively. Union discount applies for Classes taken by cardholders only and cannot be used to enroll family or friends.
- SUMMER: June 13 – August 23, 2020 | Registration now open (No class July 4&5)
- FALL: September 14 – November 22, 2020 | Registration opens August 1, 2020
- WINTER: January 4 – March 14, 2021 | Registration opens November 1, 2020
- SPRING: March 15 – May 30, 2021 (no class April 19-25) | Registration opens February 5, 2021
- Hagen Teacher’s Lab Online: August 3-9, 2020
- Hagen Core Training: January 4 – August 13, 2021 (3 Terms) *schedule is tentative & pending
- Hagen Summer Intensive 2021: June 20 – July 30, 2021
The game of make-believe is a crucial game for the artist.
About HB Studio Classes in the Dramatic Arts
For those just starting out or those seeking to reconnect with the basics, Level 1 classes are open to all without audition, placement, or prerequisite. Classes at Levels 2 and 3 build on the foundational skills addressed at Level 1. For those at an advanced level of training and for the professional actor seeking a place to work out, renew, stretch, and explore, we offer ongoing classes at the Studio Practice Level. Level 2, Level 3, and Studio Practice acting classes require audition or placement.
Actors interested in intensive, fast-track, full-time training in the dramatic arts are encouraged to apply for the Uta Hagen Institute’s one-year Core Training or 6-week Summer Intensive program. In these programs, you train as an ensemble in a rigorous, integrated sequence of daily classes.
HB Studio also offers classes in Playwriting, Directing, and acting classes for kids and teens aged 9 and up. The Studio also offers performance opportunities for playwrights, directors, and actors to collaborate on readings and work-in-progress productions.
Before You Register
We strongly encourage all students to acquaint themselves with the policies regarding refunds, credits, and transfers before registering for classes. Students may audit classes prior to enrollment. There are no refunds or credits once you register and the class is under way, except in the case of serious illness or withdrawal for military service. Requests for these exceptions must be made within three weeks of the first day the student is absent from class.
Registration with HB Studio is non-transferable.
Read more about HB Studio’s Policies at Registration & Policies.