HB Studio offers professional classes in the dramatic arts for committed actors, directors, and playwrights—beginning and experienced—to hone their skills in a community of peers and mentors. In the spirit of our founders, Uta Hagen and Herbert Berghof, we seek to foster an environment where creative freedom prevails and artists are challenged to take their work to the next level.
Browse classes in the navigation menu to the left (desktop) or above (mobile).
HB offers a progressive sequence of ongoing weekly classes, which meet for 10-week terms four terms a year. Offerings include Acting classes, Voice and Speech classes, Movement classes, Musical Theater classes, Playwriting classes, Directing classes, and acting classes for Young People. Choose one class at a time, or design your own part-time or full-time schedule.
- ACTING AUDITIONS for advanced classes are held monthly, or submit a reel …learn more
- AUDITS: Observe any of our full-term (10-week) classes one time per instructor for $20.00 per audit…learn more
- WEEKLY SCHEDULE: To browse classes by day of week, view the calendar
- HB FACULTY is comprised of practicing theater artists.…browse classes by teacher
Special seminars and master classes are offered between terms, and a variety of short-term skill-building and professional development workshops are offered throughout the year.
- SUMMER TERM REGISTRATION is NOW OPEN. Browse CLASSES and register online.
- Summer Term will run 10 weeks, June 13-Aug 22 (no classes July 4)
- 5 week options available!
- Registration for WORKSHOPS is ongoing.
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT*: Use code SUMMER19W for 10% OFF Summer Term Weekly Classes when registering by May 30, 2019.
UNION DISCOUNT*: AEA, AGVA, AGMA, SAG/AFTRA, WGA and Dramatist Guild Union Members receive 20% OFF Summer Term Weekly Classes through May 30, 2019, and 10% off thereafter. Discount will automatically apply for HB-verified Union Members. To become verified, present your active union membership card in the registration office or email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Discounts valid for Classes only; not Workshops, Programs, or Merchandise. Discounts cannot be combined nor applied retroactively.
- SPRING: March 18 – June 2, 2019 | Registration opens Feb 5 (No class April 23 – 28, May 27)
- SUMMER: June 13 – August 22, 2019 | Registration opens May 1, 2019 (No class July 4)
- FALL: September 9 – November 17, 2019 | Registration opens August 1, 2019
- WINTER: January 6 – March 15, 2020 | Registration opens November 1, 2019
- Hagen Summer Intensive: June 24 – August 2, 2019
- Hagen Teacher’s Lab 1 & 2: August 4-9 & 11-16, 2019.
- Hagen Core Training: September 15, 2019 – June 5, 2020 (3 Terms)
The game of make-believe is a crucial game for the artist.
About HB Studio Classes in the Dramatic Arts
For those just starting out or those seeking to reconnect with the basics, Level 1 classes are open to all without audition, placement, or prerequisite. Classes at Levels 2 and 3 build on the foundational skills addressed at Level 1. For those at an advanced level of training and for the professional actor seeking a place to work out, renew, stretch, and explore, we offer ongoing classes at the Studio Practice Level. Level 2, Level 3, and Studio Practice acting classes require audition or placement.
Actors interested in intensive, fast-track, full-time training in the dramatic arts are encouraged to apply for the Uta Hagen Institute’s one-year Core Training or 6-week Summer Intensive program. In these programs, you train as an ensemble in a rigorous, integrated sequence of daily classes.
HB Studio also offers classes in Playwriting, Directing, and acting classes for kids and teens aged 9 and up. The Studio also offers performance opportunities for playwrights, directors, and actors to collaborate on readings and work-in-progress productions.