HB Studio offers professional classes in the dramatic arts for committed actors, directors, and playwrights—beginning and experienced—to hone their skills in a community of peers and mentors. In the spirit of our founders, Uta Hagen and Herbert Berghof, we seek to foster an environment where creative freedom prevails and artists are challenged to take their work to the next level.
HB offers a progressive sequence of ongoing weekly classes, which meet for 10-week terms four terms a year. Offerings include Acting classes, Voice and Speech classes, Movement classes, Musical Theater classes, Playwriting classes, Directing classes, and acting classes for Young People. Choose one class at a time, or design your own part-time or full-time schedule. Browse classes in the navigation menu to the left (desktop) or below (mobile).
- ACTING AUDITIONS for advanced classes are held monthly, or submit a reel …learn more
- AUDITS: Observe a class for $20! Call 212-675-2370 Ext. 1 for details.
- HB FACULTY is comprised of practicing theater artists …browse classes by teacher and learn more
Special seminars and master classes are offered between terms, and a variety of short-term skill-building and professional development workshops are offered throughout the year.
- REGISTER NOW for 5-week classes for the second half of Spring Term. Spring Term runs through June 3. Download a PDF of our Course Catalog – Spring 2018
- Registration for WORKSHOPS is ongoing.
- Registration for Summer Term opens May 1.
UNION DISCOUNT*: AEA, AGVA, AGMA, SAG/AFTRA, WGA and Dramatist Guild Members can receive 10% OFF Spring classes. To qualify, prior to registering, present your membership card in the registration office or email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. To utilize discount, you must register in person or by phone.
- SPRING: March 19 – June 3, 2018 | Registration opens Feb 5 (No class April 24 – 29, May 28)
- SUMMER: June 13 – August 22, 2018 | Registration opens May 1, 2018 (No class July 4)
- FALL: Sept 10 – Nov 18, 2018 | Registration opens Aug 1, 2018
- WINTER: January 7 – March 17, 2019 | Registration opens Nov 1, 2018
- Hagen Summer Intensive: June 24 – August 3, 2018
- Hagen Teacher’s Lab: August 6 – 11, 2018; August 13 – 18, 2018
- Hagen Core Training: September 17, 2018 – June 7, 2019 (3 Terms)
The game of make-believe is a crucial game for the artist.
About HB Studio Classes in the Dramatic Arts
For those just starting out or those seeking to reconnect with the basics, Level 1 classes are open to all without audition, placement, or prerequisite. Classes at Levels 2 and 3 build on the foundational skills addressed at Level 1. For those at an advanced level of training and for the professional actor seeking a place to work out, renew, stretch, and explore, we offer ongoing classes at the Studio Practice Level. Level 2, Level 3, and Studio Practice acting classes require audition or placement.
Actors interested in intensive, fast-track, full-time training in the dramatic arts are encouraged to apply for the Uta Hagen Institute’s one-year Core Training or 6-week Summer Intensive program. In these programs, you train as an ensemble in a rigorous, integrated sequence of daily classes.
HB Studio also offers classes in Playwriting, Directing, and acting classes for kids and teens aged 9 and up. Performance opportunities are extended to advanced actors free of charge through a series of 5-week Performance Labs. The Studio also offers opportunities for playwrights, directors, and actors to collaborate on readings and works-in-progress performance projects.
(*Discounts valid for Studio Classes only; not valid for workshop offerings, full-time programs or merchandise. Discounts cannot be combined nor applied retroactively.)