With Pat Golden, Casting Director –
*Please kindly be sure to review full workshop session schedule (on the right-hand side of this page on desktop, or below on mobile) before enrollment
Learn the art and mechanics of the casting process from Casting Director Pat Golden, and apply those skills with hands-on experience casting “The Pat & Julie Project” staged reading series. For directors, future casting directors, and actors interested in experiencing the casting process from the other side of the table.
In this workshop, you will learn and practice the following skills and casting basics as you apply them to the casting process for the Spring 2020 “Pat & Julie Project:”
- Read plays to gain an understanding of the characters and what to look for
- Write Casting Breakdowns
- Read an actor’s resume and interpret their listed skills
- Develop a database of actor headshots and resumes
- Schedule and prepare auditions
- Run the audition room
- Collaborate with Directors & Playwrights
- Apply diversity, openness, creativity and imagination to the casting process
Participants will take on the role and responsibility of Casting Directors for the Spring 2020 “Pat & Julie Project.” The Pat & Julie Project is a collaborative performance project in which directors, playwrights and actors at HB Studio join together to produce and perform staged readings of new scenes and 10 minute plays over a weekend in the HB Playwrights Theatre.
Be prepared to spend significant time outside of class working remotely, to prepare for the auditions, schedule actors’ auditions, complete the casting process, and work until the job is done. This workshop requires that participants be organized, proactive, and dedicated — as is the case in the “real world” of casting!
Through the direct experience in casting offered by this workshop, you will develop a marketable skillset that you will be able to use in your own work and beyond.
Reading assignments will consist of reading the plays in advance of September 4.
- 3-hole notebook with blank pages
- Pencils and pens.
Class Schedule (TENTATIVE – All dates To Be Confirmed):
All sessions meet in THE SHACK (120 Bank St) unless otherwise noted below:
- Mon, March 9 – 6:30-8:30pm
Remote Assignment: Organize, Sort & Categorize Actors’ Pictures & Resume
- Mon, March 16 – 6:30-8:30pm
Remote Assignment: Prep Casting Notice & Paperwork for Scheduling Auditions
- Mon, March 23 – 3:30-5:30pm (Meet & Greet with Directors & Playwrights – First Floor Studio) & 6:30-8:30pm
Remote Assignment: Set Up 1st Auditions
- Mon, March 30 – 2:30-9pm (First Auditions / Casting Session Day #1 – HB Playwrights Theatre)
Remote Assignment: Set Up 2nd Auditions
- Mon, April 6 – 2:30-9pm (2nd Auditions / Casting Session Day #2 – HB Playwrights Theatre)
Remote Assignment – As Needed/ TBA
- Mon, April 13 – 6:30-8:30pm
Performances of “The Pat & Julie Project”:
Location: HB Playwrights Theatre, 124 Bank Street
- Sat, May 23 – 7pm
- Sun, May 24 – 7pm
Recommended for pairing with Directors New Play Lab. Purchase both together for $15 off!
Pat Golden is a Director and Casting Director for theater and film. Film casting credits include: PLATOON, BLUE VELVET, THE KILLING FIELDS, THE HANDMAID’S TALE, NEW JACK CITY, DOWNTOWN EXPRESS, GIMME SHELTER…read more