“The Pat & Julie Project” –
For directors both experienced and beginning, this Lab, led by director Pat Golden, takes you through the director’s process and culminates in a public showing of scenes from new work. You will be paired with a playwright selected from Julie McKee‘s playwriting classes to prep, cast, rehearse and present a new scene or 10-minute play as part of “The Pat & Julie Project” — a collaborative performance project in which directors, playwrights and actors at HB Studio join together to produce and perform staged readings over a weekend in the HB Playwrights Theatre.
Initial classes focus on spacial relationships, composition, blocking and creating the atmosphere; script interpretation; the collaborative process between director and designer and working with the actor. In class you will experience working with these concepts in a practical manner. You’ll have the opportunity to cast actors from HB’s community and student pool.
These topics are then explored and reinforced during the prep and rehearsal of the playwrights’ scenes, to take place in classes leading up to the final presentation. Classes will include director’s prep, casting sessions, in class rehearsals, and runs of your scenes.
The work will be presented to an invited audience at the end of the term. This is an opportunity to work on a new play with a playwright, addressing the art of collaboration. Dramatist Guild Guidelines and AEA Staged Reading Guidelines will be honored. Decisions regarding assignment and selection of the End-of-Term Projects are at the discretion of instructors, based on the merit of the work in class, and are by no means guaranteed.
Recommended for pairing with Casting Directors Lab. Purchase both together for $15 off!
Schedule – Spring 2020 Lab:
- 2:30-5:30PM, Mondays, March 16 – May 18
- Meet & Greet with Playwrights, Directors & Casting Directors:
- 3:30-5:30pm, Monday, March 23
- Casting Sessions:
- 2:30-9PM, Monday, March 30
- 2:30-9PM, Monday, April 6 (*tentative*)
- HB Playwrights Theatre, 124 Bank Street
- 12-6PM, Wednesday, May 13
- 12-6PM, Thursday, May 14
- 12-6PM, Friday, May 15
- 12-4PM, Saturday, May 16
- Performances :
- 7PM, Saturday, May 16, 2020
- 3PM, Sunday, May 17, 2020 (matinee)
- VENUE : HB Playwrights Theatre, 124 Bank Street
• DIRECTORS ON DIRECTING: A SOURCE BOOK OF THE MODERN THEATRE revised edition by Toby Cole and Helen Krich Chinoy (Specifically 3 chapters: “Behind the Forth Wall” by Antoine, “Creative Work with the Actor” by Stanislavsky, and “Three Faces of the Director” by Nemirovich-Danchenko.
• A CHALLENGE FOR THE ACTOR (Chapters 10 and 11) by Uta Hagen
Available for purchase online via our registration system or in-person at the registration office
• For the first day of class you are required to bring your theatrical or professional resume.