Position Title: Part-Time Desk Staff – Nights and Weekends
Reports To: Office & IT Manager, HB Studio
Part-time registration team member needed to serve the staff and student community of this busy New York acting studio. Through these activities support the evolving mission and vision of this theatre collective and performing arts institute founded in 1945 by actor/director Herbert Berghof and renowned actress and master acting teacher Uta Hagen, where high-quality training and practice are offered at affordable costs to a diverse community of over a thousand students per term.
- Serve as the first point of contact to students and prospective students for walk-in advisement, phone calls, emails and in-person inquiries.
- Facilitate new and continuing students with website navigation and use, application processes, setting up accounts, updating accounts, as well as online, email, phone, and in-house registration.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of and ability to articulate the policies and procedures of HB Studio.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the HB Registration system (ASAP Connected).
- Maintain student accounts and updates within the ASAP system.
- Accurately process payments, transactions, registrations, class audits, merchandise sales, space rentals, transfers, and withdrawals.
- Accurately and promptly maintain student and class records and notify fellow staff and management of changes to class schedules, including class cancellations, reschedules, makeups, and substitutions for both teachers and classroom support specialists such as musical accompanists and videographers.
- As needed, aid instructors in the preparation of class resources and the classroom environment (heating/cooling, supplies, sound/visual equipment, etc.) Troubleshoot documents, file uploads and print specifications for faculty and student assistants.
- Be aware of and report issues to the appropriate staff and supervisors regarding maintenance and facilities issues, student conduct, and procedural and operational issues.
- Able to confidently call, email and follow up with the student body.
- Update faculty roll books and enter student attendance into ASAP registration system.
- Oversee proper use of the office copy machine by students and instructors.
- End of shift/day reporting and close out.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
- Attend professional development and training programs as needed.
- Support and assist the Office Manager.
- Building lock up.
Possible Additional Tasks:
- Work independently and in cooperation with the Executive & Artistic Director, Finance Coordinator and Program Coordinator on special and ongoing projects.
- Other tasks and responsibilities may be assigned based upon ability and interest.
- Research skills a plus.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- Minimum Associates degree, Bachelors degree preferred;
- Excellent computer skills: must be proficient with Mac systems, Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Suite (Google Drive/Calendar/Docs), experience with WordPress, survey platforms (e.g. JotForm), and Adobe Creative Suite a plus;
- Experience with data entry and data management systems, scheduling and database systems;
- A supportive team player and self-starter, able to multitask and learn quickly;
- Strong organizational skills: detail-oriented problem-solver;
- Excellent communication skills: personable and diplomatic in working with diverse constituents. Able to facilitate communication between multiple parties in a diplomatic, efficient way. Superb on follow-through and reporting;
- Able to handle confidential information with discretion and diplomacy.
- Prior nonprofit and/or sales experience a plus.
Scope of Responsibility:
Reports to Office and IT Manager and liaises with Finance Coordinator, Executive & Artistic Director, Program, Development, and Facilities staff. Must interact well with faculty, guest artists, staff, and students while maintaining separation and discretion and upholding Studio policies and restrictions. Must be able to communicate with sensitivity to cultural and generational differences.
Special Working Conditions:
Evening or weekend shifts are required for this position. Additional hours may be required on occasion in connection with emergency situations or special projects. All staff members are expected to take part in the Studio’s annual Spring-Cleanup week in April/May.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Desk Staff.”