Position Title: DESK STAFF (Part-Time)
Reports To: Office & IT Manager, HB Studio
Part-time registration team member needed to serve the staff and student community of this busy New York acting studio. Through these activities support the evolving mission and vision of this theatre collective and performing arts institution founded in 1945 by actor/director Herbert Berghof and renowned actress and master acting teacher Uta Hagen, where high-quality training and practice are offered at affordable costs to a diverse community of over a thousand students per term.
- Serve as the first point of contact to students and prospective students for email inquiries, and class advisement.
- Facilitate new and continuing students with website navigation and use, application processes, setting up accounts, updating accounts, as well as online, and email registration.
- In-depth articulate knowledge of the policies and procedures of HB Studio.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the HB Registration system (ASAP Connected).
- Maintain student accounts and updates within the ASAP system.
- Accurately process payments, transactions, registrations, class audits, transfers, and withdrawals.
- Accurately and promptly maintain records and notify fellow staff and management of changes to class schedules, including class cancellations, reschedules, makeups, and substitutions for both teachers and classroom support specialists such as musical accompanists and videographers.
- Student Assistant and key student organizing, training, correspondence, attendance, and follow up.
- Scholarship organizing, correspondence and follow up.
- Entering student-level placements from teachers, as well as from online auditions.
- As needed, aid instructors in the preparation of class resources.
- Be aware of and report issues to the appropriate staff and supervisors: student conduct, procedural and operational issues.
- Able to confidently call, email, and follow up with the student body.
- Update and enter student attendance.
- End of shift/day reporting and closeout.
- Be available for staff meetings.
- Attend professional development and training programs as needed.
- Support and assist the Office Manager.
Additional In-House Support includes:
- Serve as the first point of contact to students for walk-in and phone inquiries.
- Facilitate new and continuing students with phone and in-house registration.
- Accurately process class, space rentals, merchandise sales, and in-house payment transactions.
- Entering student-level placements from in-person auditions.
- As needed, aid instructors in the preparation of class resources and the classroom environment (heating/cooling adjustments, supplies, sound/visual equipment, etc.)
- Be aware of and report issues to the appropriate staff and supervisors: maintenance and facilities issues.
- Update faculty roll books.
- Oversee proper use of the office copy machine by students and instructors.
- End of shift/day reporting and closeout.
- General Studio prop area upkeep
- Building opening and lock-up.
- Awareness of and suggest corrections to, our website and social media solutions, and online registration system.
- Troubleshoot documents, file uploads, and print specifications for faculty and students.
- Work independently and in cooperation with other HB Studio Departments on special and ongoing projects.
- Other tasks and responsibilities may be assigned based upon ability and interest.
- Research skills a plus.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- An interest in Acting.
- Associates or Bachelors degree;
- Must be proficient with Mac systems, Google, and Microsoft Office Suites. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Filemaker Pro a plus.
- Proficient with cash receipts and reconciliation.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- A supportive team player and a self-starter, able to multitask.
- Strong organizational skills: detail-oriented problem-solver.
- Excellent communication skills: personable and diplomatic in working with diverse constituents. Able to facilitate communication between multiple parties in a diplomatic, efficient way. Excellent with follow-through.
- Able to handle confidential information with discretion and diplomacy.
- Prior nonprofit and/or sales experience a plus.
- The ideal candidate speaks English and Spanish fluently.
- Available to work weekend and evening shifts.
- Has the equipment and resources to work from home.
- Able to work in-person once our facility reopens.
Scope of Responsibility & Positions Supervised:
- Reports to Office and IT Manager and liaises with Program Coordinator, Administrative Coordinator, Finance & HR Coordinator, Executive & Artistic Director, Development Manager, Marketing Director, and Facilities staff.
- Must interact well with faculty, guest artists, staff, and students while maintaining separation and discretion and upholding Studio policies and restrictions.
- Able to communicate with sensitivity to ability, cultural and generational differences.
Special Working Conditions:
Additional evening or weekend hours may be required on occasion in connection with emergency situations or special projects. All staff members are expected to take part in the Studio’s annual Spring-Cleanup week in April/May.
HB Studio is currently working remotely until our facility reopens, when we reopen, the candidate would be expected to work on-campus in New York City.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Desk Staff”. Please no phone calls or stop in’s.