HB Studio Job Description
Position Title: DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
Reports to: Marketing Director and Development Manager
Through fundraising and communications support, advance the nonprofit mission of HB Studio, a vibrant workspace for theater artists founded in 1945 by actor/director Herbert Berghof and renowned master acting teacher Uta Hagen, where high-quality training and practice are offered at affordable costs to a diverse community of over 3,000 artists each year.
- Provide administrative support to the Development Manager with annual appeal solicitations, donor follow-up, and coordinating and executing donor cultivation events as needed.
- Maintain the integrity of CRM donor database by performing regular data entry, maintenance, and updates. Record and process all donations in accordance with IRS regulations, including stocks, in-kind, and pledged gifts.
- Compose acknowledgment letters for all processed gifts in a timely manner, providing precise record-keeping each quarter.
- Provide accurate donor lists for all HB programs and public donor listings.
- Help create, update and track VIP invitations for Individual and Institutional donors.
- Help coordinate and attend VIP events for major donors and industry alumni
- Help prepare for, and participate in, HB Board and Committee meetings
- Help grow the HB Neighborhood Partners program by securing in-kind donations for community events, including HB’s annual Spring Clean-Up.
- Build prospect lists by adding alumni, vendor, institutional and audience contacts into CRM donor database and Mail Chimp email program.
- Research current and prospective donors through HB’s prospect research software to aid targeted fundraising efforts.
- Identify corporate sponsorship opportunities for the Annual Gala and assist Development Manager with creating collateral.
- Responsible for soliciting advertisements from local NYC businesses for HB’s Annual Gala program
- Coordinate volunteers for the Annual Gala and help oversee volunteer responsibilities the night of the event.
Help Development team coordinate alumni and leadership committees for fundraising purposes throughout HB’s 75th Anniversary season in 2019-2020.
- Work collaboratively within the Development and Communications department, to assist with organizational communications
- Support HB Studio’s ongoing communications initiatives, including but not limited to social media marketing, email marketing, and the initiation and coordination of an HB Studio blog
- Manage the design, coordination, and development of printed programs for theatre performances
- Take a leadership role in managing ongoing search engine optimization of HB Studio’s website at the direction of an outside consultant, and with the help of staff
- Assist with website content updates. Identify opportunities to improve information clarity and appeal, and site navigation and layout, taking into consideration behavior flow and SEO
- In collaboration with the Marketing Director and Registration staff, devise and execute methods for improving registration for under-enrolled classes and programs
- Help to build HB Studio’s assets through class and program photography/videography, in coordination with faculty, key students and the Production Manager
- Provide administrative support to the Development and Communications team as needed in preparing quarterly reports for the HB Fundraising and Marketing Committee and HB Studio Board of Directors
- Assist with the design, coordination and development of print and digital materials, including brochures, direct mail, flyers, ads, and fundraising collateral
- Support the development, ongoing management and optimization, and analysis and reporting of pay-per-click campaigns with the goal of increasing enrollment
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- BA or Associates degree required. 1-2 years prior nonprofit administrative experience with NYC performing arts preferred.
- An interest in pursuing a career in marketing or fundraising for non-profit, performing arts and cultural organizations. An interest in theater is a plus!
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, accurate, and meticulous, especially when editing, proofreading, and developing copy for fundraising and marketing communications.
- Ability to take initiative with projects; proactive nature with excellent follow-through is essential! Effectively communicate the status of projects with management.
- Excellent time management skills – able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, meet deadlines, assimilate and interpret information.
- Superior computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Mac OS X, required. Adobe Creative Cloud, CRM database, and fundraising prospect tool experience a plus.
Scope of Responsibility & Positions Supervised:
- Joint reporting to HB’s Marketing Director and Development Manager. Collaboration opportunities with Production Manager, Program Coordinator, Registration staff, Consulting team, and Faculty.
- Special Working Conditions: Occasional weekend and evening work will be necessary for special events and meetings.
- Application Instructions: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Development and Communications Associate.”