Position Title: DEVELOPMENT MANAGER: INDIVIDUAL GIVING AND EVENTS
REPORTS TO: Executive and Artistic Director of HB Studio
Help to grow the organization’s individual giving through the successful management of fundraising appeals, special events, cultivation efforts, and community outreach. Work with HB’s development consultants and Board Fundraising and Marketing Committee to implement donor cultivation strategy. Supervise and work closely with HB’s Audience and Development Coordinator on donor tracking and communications on behalf of HB Studio including gift processing, donor acknowledgements, database administration, and gift reporting. Liaise with Marketing Manager on press releases, publicity, and promotion of public cultivation or fundraising events. Through these development activities support the mission and vision of this theater collective founded in 1945 by actor/director Herbert Berghof and renowned actress and master acting teacher Uta Hagen, where high quality training and practice are offered at affordable costs to a diverse community of over three thousand students each year.
Communications and Report Structure
- Work collaboratively with the Studio’s Executive and Artistic Director and other members of the HB Studio Board and staff to execute an annual fundraising plan.
- Serve on the Senior Staff and Fundraising/Marketing Committees to ensure a coherent approach to fundraising, publicity, and marketing for HB Studio.
- Take a leadership role in communicating with Executive & Artistic Director about donor activity, major gifts, and key prospects. Responsible for suggesting follow-up correspondence to lapsed donors and personalized outreach to key supporters.
- Liaise with Board President and Fundraising/Marketing Chair on matters related to events, donor cultivation and individual giving. Coordinate Board participation in donor communications, acknowledgement and solicitation.
- Supervise the Audience and Development Assistant, delegating tasks and assignments as needed.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department for timely deposits, data entry, acknowledgement, and reporting.
- Plan, lead, and execute two annual fund campaigns, one in the spring and one at year-end.
- Take a leadership role in the organization’s annual benefit, helping with honoree and special guest selections and alumni engagement. Incumbent is responsible for overseeing corporate sponsorship, ticket and journal ad sales, in-kind donations, and the run of show.
- Organize and staff cultivation events throughout the year.
- Support the ongoing development of a large sustained base of individual donors through alumni networks and contacts in the field. Foster relationships with local businesses and vendors for financial and in-kind support.
Operations and Execution
- Build prospect lists by tracking institutional and audience contacts to be added into Little Green Light and Mail Chimp database tools.
- Research and review donors and prospects for targeted fundraising asks.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of all gifts, including stocks and deferred gifts.
- Ensure gift acknowledgements are compliant with IRS regulations, including but not limited to gifts-in-kind, auction donations, and pledged gifts.
- Track and follow up on pledges.
- Attend Board meetings and prepare giving reports and summaries to be included in Board materials. Provide administrative support for the Board’s Fundraising and Marketing Committee and assistance in creating each meeting’s agenda.
- Working collaboratively with Executive and Artistic Director and Development Consultants, provide any required supplemental materials related to individual giving needed for the preparation of grant proposals and reports created and submitted by the Grants Writer.
- Support and assist the Finance Department with timely and accurate income reporting and reconciliation, and annual audit support.
- Supervise the design of all fundraising correspondence including the annual appeal stationery and benefit save the date; invitation; and program.
- Work with Audience and Development Assistant and Marketing Manager on creating email blasts and social media content to promote fundraising initiatives.
- Ensure the integrity of the donor database, Little Green Light, by overseeing regular maintenance and updates, and carefully supervising Audience and Development Assistant and work-study assistants on data entry.
- Supervise Audience and Development Assistant to meticulously assemble mailing lists for all fundraising and cultivation efforts, culling from the donor database, student records, alumni contacts, and vendor relationships.
- Ensure preparation of accurate donor lists and compelling fundraising copy for annual reporting, website, and program materials.
- Work with Audience and Development Assistant to select multiple work-study assistants each term to work in the development office, and oversee their progress on general office tasks and special projects.
- Recruit and engage students and volunteers to help with fundraising and special events.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- BA required. 3-5 years prior development experience or training, or nonprofit administrative experience, with preference in NYC performing arts.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively communicate at all levels in the performing arts community.
- Highly organized, creative self-starter, detail-oriented, accurate, meticulous, with excellent follow through. Excellent time management skills, able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, meet deadlines, assimilate and interpret information.
- Excellent judgment on matters of etiquette and protocol.
- Superior computer skills, including database experience and fundraising software systems, Microsoft office and Mac OS X.
Scope of Responsibility & Positions Supervised:
- Reports to Executive and Artistic Director of HB Studio. Works with Board Fundraising and Marketing Committee and consultants to execute development strategy. Liaises with Marketing Manager. Supervises Audience and Development Assistant, volunteers and work-study assistants. Must work well with Audience and Development Assistant, Marketing Manager, Finance Department and Board of Directors.
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional weekend and evening work will be necessary for special events and meetings.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Development Manager: Individual Giving and Events.”
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED: