Position Title: FACILITIES MANAGER—FULL TIME
Reports To: Executive & Artistic Director of HB Studio
Full-time position (hours 8 am to 4 pm, Monday to Friday) providing ongoing management, maintenance, and technical support for three historic buildings and their grounds in lower Manhattan (Greenwich Village), supporting a multi-generational community of theater artists. Facilities are comprised of studio classrooms, office, theatre performance, public and supporting spaces. Ensure that facilities are clean and orderly throughout the weekly schedule of classes and performances, and that the physical plant (heating, cooling, plumbing, electrical, mechanical) is functioning properly. Through these activities support the evolving mission and vision of this theatre collective and performing arts school founded in 1945 by actor/director Herbert Berghof and renowned actress and master acting teacher Uta Hagen, where high-quality training and practice are offered at affordable costs to a diverse community of over a thousand students per term.
- Ensure the facilities are kept in a clean and orderly manner, and that facilities are compliant with all fire/safety/insurance regulations, addressing any broken, unclean or unsafe situations as they arise
- Manage and maintain HVAC, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, security, and fire safety systems, liaise with contractors and inspectors, providing oversight, information, maintaining code-related records and inspection schedules.
- Ensure that the third-party cleaning vendor is performing their duties.
- In consultation with Executive Office, Registration, Venue and Production staff, determine and assess repair needs. Carry out small repairs or assist in negotiating and scheduling with contractors. Research and organize bids for major repairs and construction work as required ensuring that the work is done according to contract. Provide support and coordination for renovation and repair projects, vendor deliveries, and service appointments.
- Perform daily building walk-throughs to ensure all studio spaces are clean and organized.
- Physical duties will include: preparing of garbage and recycling materials for city pickup, shoveling snow and salting the sidewalk during winter and keeping the sidewalk clean throughout the year.
- Liaise with Venue Manager, Production Manager and Registration Staff to ensure that facilities are clean and orderly and all aspects of physical plant are functioning properly through the week into the weekend.
- Ensure that studios and restrooms are properly supplied and maintained throughout the day.
- Provide facilities and technical support for weekend performance projects and rehearsals.
- Track extreme weather conditions and in consultation with Management team, alert, assist and advise on the organization’s preparation and response.
- Track and replenish building equipment and supplies.
- Perform or organize periodic safety and code inspections.
- Work with Management team on recycling and waste reduction improvements.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- Disciplined, Organized, Proactive Self-Starter
- Applicants should have experience in building maintenance including but not limited to:
- Basic Carpentry and repairs
- General Facilities Management
- Technical School Certificate, AA/AS degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering Technology or equivalent on-job experience preferred.
- Theater production and technical skills a plus.
Scope of Responsibility & Positions Supervised:
- Reports to Executive & Artistic Director. Coordinates and liaises with Office/IT Manager, Production Manager, and Registration Staff.
Special Working Conditions:
Additional hours may be required on occasion in connection with emergency situations or special events. The Facilities Manager will be expected to take the lead in maintaining emergency plans and coordinating the Studio’s annual Spring-Clean up week in May.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com, using the subject line “Facilities Manager.”