Applications are now closed for the 2018 HB Rehearsal Space Residency.
Application deadline: December 1, 2017
Selections will be announced no later than January 31, 2018.
Please carefully read the guidelines below.
Check back in Fall 2018 for the 2019 application cycle.
About the HB Residency:
HB Studio is dedicated to training and practice for the theater, and seeks to provide a commerce-free environment for the nurturing and growth of theater artists. In pursuit of this goal, HB offers six two-month Rehearsal Space Residencies each year for the development of creative projects. The HB Rehearsal Space Residency is an opportunity for practicing theater artists to collaborate on experimental projects, develop new work, and share workshop presentations among peers and colleagues, for constructive critical feedback and mutual growth. (Please note, the residency’s focus is on rehearsal and development, rather than production. The Studio is not a producing organization, nor should these presentations be construed as “showcases.”) This is an open opportunity; you do not have to be affiliated with HB Studio to apply. However, we do ask that our resident artists work with us to engage our community of students and faculty while in residence at HB.
Eligible Projects may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Rehearsed workshops or readings of new plays
- New/exploratory staging of existing works
- Devised or improvised work
- Musical theater works and theater works incorporating music
- Movement-based theater work
If selected, you receive:
- Free rehearsal space, up to 9 hours each week, for two months.
- During the second month, free presentation space over four weekends (Saturday & Sunday evenings) in the First Floor Studio, which may be used for public presentations, rehearsals, or both.
- Limited temporary storage during the second month of each residency.
- An orientation to the space and technical equipment.
- Announcements of public presentations via HB Studio’s weekly notice and social media postings.
- An Eventbrite page created by HB staff for taking ticket reservations.
If selected, you are responsible for:
- Sharing at least two public presentations at 8pm on the final Saturday & Sunday of the residency. Additional presentations on the prior three weekends may be added if desired.
- Crafting and running all elements of your public presentations, including tech, set up, break down, stage management and front of house.
- Providing your own technicians to design and run the show, if using tech elements.
- Providing your own costume, props or set pieces, as needed. Limited props and set pieces are available for use in the First Floor Studio. (Ideal projects will be those that cultivate a “no budget” aesthetic – self-produced, bare bones, etc.)
- Creating your own publicity materials and promoting your presentations.
- If using AEA actors, applying for and securing your own showcase agreement, if needed.
- Gathering and sharing feedback on your work-in-progress from colleagues and audience is encouraged.
- Completing a survey for HB about your experience at the end of the project period.