Apply now for the Jan ’22 Hagen Actor’s Lab Online!
January 3, 4, 6, 8 & 10, 2022 | $475:
- Meet & Greet: 4-6pm, Mon, Jan 3, 2022
- Lab Sessions: 10am – 4pm, Tue, Thu, Sat & Mon, January 4, 6, 8 & 10, 2022
- Wrap-Up: 4-5:30pm, Mon, January 10, 2022
Application Deadline: November 8, 2021
You will be notified by: Nov 15, 2021
Upon acceptance, you must register by:* Nov 28, 2021
The Uta Hagen Institute at HB Studio introduces the Hagen Actor’s Lab, held online via Zoom.
The world of theater is changing. We are all faced with the challenge of re-examining what we do and how we do it. We follow the one tenet that will never change: Theater must reflect and be relevant to the time in which we live.
Offered by HB Studio, where Uta Hagen taught her legendary professional classes for more than 50 years, the Hagen Actor’s Lab Online offers an intensive week dedicated to furthering your artistic practice as an actor through immersion in Hagen’s world-renowned acting exercises and approach to script analysis.
Uta Hagen’s acting exercises provide an oasis of grounded physical solo practice for the actor. The exercises offer the actor a practice that enhances mindfulness and self-observation and that is physically immersive and behavioral. They allow you to keep continuity in your work whether you are actively employed or not. They provide a methodical way to deepen your preparation for a role, keeping it alive, fluid and open. You know what your homework is and how to be ready to work with your colleagues at your first rehearsal.
Working in a safe non-performative space, in the Hagen Actor’s Lab Online you will:
- Find ease and clarity in your process
- Identify what the “work” actually is
- Define your obligation to the role
- Practice exploring substitutions that lead to choices that are specific and personal
- Awaken your senses
- Liberate your imagination
- Develop your ability to reflect upon your work
- Embrace Doing vs Feeling
- Own your voice and points of view
- Create circumstances that release truthful behavior.
- Open to unexpected discoveries
- Strengthen your desire to hear the other
- Treasure your curiosity and keep it alive
Breaks and Guided Warm-Ups will be offered throughout the day, to step away from the screen, refresh, breathe, ground and recenter in our bodies.
•10am- 10:30am: Voice Warm-up
•10:35am- 12:35pm: Acting Technique
•12:35am- 1:25pm: Lunch
•1:25-1:55pm: Voice Warm-up
•2-4pm: Script Analysis & Scenes
Optional Bonus Sessions!:
•4pm-4:30pm after each Lab Session
•Off-Day Garden Lunch Hours: 12pm-1pm, Wed, Fri & Sun, Jan 5, 7 & 9
AUDITS: We welcome you to submit a request to audit the Lab. You are welcome to request to audit (observe) one or two days of the Hagen Actor’s Lab Online. Audit fee: $45 per day. Space is limited. Those interested in auditing Hagen Teacher’s Lab Online should fill out an Audit Request Form at this link:
*REGISTRATION & REFUND POLICIES:
- Upon acceptance into the Lab, you must register in full by November 28.
- A $350 refund will be given to cancellations made more than 3 weeks (22+ days) before the first day of the Lab.
- No refunds will be given less than 3 weeks (21 days or less) before the first day of the lab.