HB is offering Hagen Teacher’s Lab Online instead of Hagen Teacher’s Lab 2 this August 2020. Read more and apply now.
“The Lab reminded me as to how little I actually know. And thats what makes acting so exciting. The daily discoveries…” – Danielle Miller, Public High School Theater Teacher
Expand your exploration of Uta Hagen’s approach to acting and teaching
August 9-14, 2020 [Cancelled – Visit Hagen Teacher’s Lab Online)
Sunday – Friday | 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
Hagen Teacher’s Lab 2 was created to meet the desire expressed by participants to further deepen the work and grow the community of practitioners.
In August 2018 we introduced this new six-day intensive to expand our exploration of Uta Hagen’s approach to acting and teaching and, building a network of supportive colleagues, to share experiences and delve into the common concerns we face teaching acting in the 21st century. The teaching artists and actors who have participated in any of the previous Hagen Teacher’s Labs may apply.
In Hagen Teacher’s Lab 2, we will:
- Explore how to inventively teach the exercises through partnering students.
- Practice the direct application of the exercises to scenes.
- Hone in on responding to our students’ work.
- Hold “What Can You Tell Us?” forums on pedagogy, to share experiences and discuss teaching challenges we face. Some topics might include:
- “What Worked? / What Didn’t Work?” – How applicable/effective the knowledge gained in the Hagen Teacher’s Lab has been in our classrooms and studios.
- The triumphs and challenges we have experienced in the environments in which we have taught, acted and directed.
- Wisdom and challenges around practical issues such as time management, scheduling, space, play selection, etc.
- Common concerns and experiences teaching acting today.
As in the Hagen Teacher’s Lab, everyone will be an active participant with assignments for Technique and Scene Study.
Required Texts: A Challenge for the Actor by Uta Hagen and Acting and Living in Discovery by Carol Rosenfeld
*Available for purchase online via our registration system or in-person at the registration office.
• 9:30am-10:25am Vocal Warm-up
• 10:30am-1:00pm Technique
• 1:00pm-2:00pm Lunch
• 2:00pm-4:30pm Scene Study
Audits: University and High School Acting Teachers and Hagen Teacher’s Lab Alumni are welcome to request to audit (observe) one or two days of the Hagen Teacher’s Lab.
• Audit fee: $60 per day.
• To request an audit, email Jim Boerlin at firstname.lastname@example.org with:
– Your name
– School affiliation and position
– Your reason for auditing
– Date(s) you would like to audit
* Apply early to secure your spot. Space is limited.
Upon acceptance into the Lab, you must register in full by June 24 to secure your spot in the Lab.