The Hagen Summer Intensive is a rigorous, 6-week workshop that probes the practical applications of Uta Hagen’s technique as discussed in her book A CHALLENGE FOR THE ACTOR. Through acting technique, scene study, script analysis, and technical exercises, “The Six Steps” will become an integral part of the actor’s craft. When you have strong technique and more confidence in how to find yourself in the role, acting will be joyful. Classes include: Acting Technique, Scene Study, Alexander Technique, Movement & Voice.
COVID-19 Update: HB Studio intends to hold the 2021 Hagen Summer Intensive onsite. We will be continually assessing the situation as the pandemic progresses to determine whether and at what point in-person classes can safely resume. The program will follow CDC, OSHA, and NYS/NYC guidelines for businesses, standards established by the actors’ unions, and the best practices of our theater and university partners.
2021 HAGEN SUMMER INTENSIVE
- Mondays – Fridays, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- June 21, 2021 – July 30, 2021 (Orientation on June 20, 2021)
- Tuition: $3,250
- Applications for Summer 2021 are now open
- Early Admissions Deadline: March 1, 2021
- Applications are considered on a rolling basis
(includes $50 non-refundable application fee)
*Fill out application from a computer – not a phone or tablet
For your audition please prepare two contrasting contemporary monologues, three-minutes each. You are required to audition in person, unless you live outside of the NYC area (50+ miles away). For those outside the NYC area, you may audition via video submission. Please indicate your preference when filling out your application.
- On March 6, 2021 at HB Studio, NYC
- On another date by appointment at HB Studio, NYC.
- On another date by appointment virtually over Zoom.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- A rigorous, integrated 6-week training that probes the practical applications of Uta Hagen’s approach to acting
- A faculty of master practitioners
- A direct, in-depth approach to your work and a safe, supportive, challenging environment
- To strengthen your craft and stretch all aspects of your instrument
- To complete the Intensive a stronger, more knowledgeable, more confident actor